Friday, January 26, 2007

A solution?

Interesting story with a solution to the current "problems" with diversity and equality. Sure, it is not minorities practicing law or women in government, but the moral is the same -- What do you do when you are part of an underrepresented class in any business or area of life? First, you decide how important it is to be a part of this group and then you do things the old fashoined way and work hard to suceed:
“I started promoting women’s events when I got into my late 20s. I saw other girls interested in chopping and sawing, so I started writing letters to all these women. I took my idea to the Lumberjack Association. They said we don’t have any money. I said I’ll get the money. They said we don’t have time for it. I said we’d do it in the morning. They said what about judges? I’ll provide the judges. What about the wood? I’ll provide the wood... I presented the prize money for the first three years and then it was like they couldn’t fight it.”
Notice the things that this lady did not do while suceeding: boycott or protest all Lumberjacks who did not let women compete; petition the government to install some quota system in the world of competitive log rolling; undergo some subversive thought control program to brainwash people into thinking that women were necessary in the sport. No, she just worked hard and perfected her accuracy with an axe until a big enough fan base wanted to see the Lumberjills. Revolutionary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home