Thursday, June 08, 2006

Symbolism

Here is a little Chesterton for all those folks who think Robert Langdon is a brilliant symbologist:
. . . my companion said to me: 'Do you know why the spire of that church goes up like that?' I expressed a respectable agnosticism, and he answered in an off-hand way, 'Oh, the same as the obelisks; the Phallic Worship of antiquity.' . . . No mortal words can express the immense, the insane incongruity and unnatural perversion of thought involved in saying such a thing at such a moment and in such a place. For one moment I was in the mood in which men burned witches; and then a sense of absurdity equally enormous seemed to open about like a dawn. 'Why, of course,' I said after a moment's reflection, 'if it hadn't been for phallic worship, they would have built the spire pointing downwards and standing on its own apex.'




Sometimes it takes a brilliant man to recognize things so simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home