Monday, November 06, 2006

A Little Afternoon Proof-Texting

I have always thought that Rev. Lovejoy had the best refute of any argument based on proof-texting:
"...oh just about everything is a sin, have you ever sat down and read [the Bible]? Technically we're not allowed to go to the bathroom."
Some truths are not spelled out with proof-text-necessary clarity to ensure an easy victory in the battle of Bible verses (like the Trinity, for example, but for some reason that one is fine with protestants). And, curse my Bible-illiterate Catholic upbringing, I don't even know all the good verses to play the game. Well, there is good news for me today. I just read one little Purgatorial nugget to add to the arsenal, Matthew 12:32:
"And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but he that shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him neither in this world, nor in the world to come."
According to St. Augustine (De Civ. Dei, XXI, xxiv):
"that some sinners are not forgiven either in this world or in the next would not be truly said unless there were other [sinners] who, though not forgiven in this world, are forgiven in the world to come"
Now, that is a proof-text!*

-----------------------

*I know that I broke the proof-texting rules** by citing a Saint, but that is the most-logical reading of the verse, so it is still valid.

** As far as I know, the proof-texting rules are: (1) quote a Bible verse out of context; (2) its literal reading must support your argument.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home